What is the H-1B visa?

The H-1B visa is a nonimmigrant work visa that allows U.S. employers to hire foreign workers with specialized skills to work in the United States for a specific period of time. Typically, the roles require a bachelor’s degree or equivalent. Occupations that qualify for the H-1B visa are typically in fields such as technology, finance, engineering, architecture, or more.

H-1B Visa Eligibility

In order to be eligible for the H1B visa, you will need:

  • A valid job offer from a U.S. employer for a role that requires specialty knowledge (Elite Recruitment will secure a job offer from a US employer for you.)
  • Proof of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in that field
  • Your employer must show that there is a lack of qualified U.S. applicants for the role

How Much Does the H-1B Visa Cost?

The cost to register for the H-1B lottery is $10. If the applicant is selected for an H-1B visa, the employer will then have to pay $460 to file Form I-129 (Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker). Beyond that, the costs can vary, depending on the size of the company, costs to expedite the application, whether or not the H-1B applicant is changing employers, and attorney fees.

IMPORTANT: The government filing fees for most visa applications could increase significantly, as soon as May 2023. The current proposed cost to file Form I-129 is slated to increase from $460 to $1,385—a 201% increase. The pre-registration fee could also increase by 2050%, from $10 to $215.

In January, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced plans to increase filing costs for most visa application types, including marriage green cards and those adjusting status to green cards. The proposed fees are not yet in effect, but Boundless is tracking all government updates closely.

Elite Recruitment registration and placement fee is $500USD

The H-1B Visa Process

Fill out our H1B application form and pay the fee

Once you have been selected to apply for the H-1B visa, your employer

can begin the process by filing a petition on your behalf.

To do this, your employer will need to submit a Labor Condition Application (LCA) to the Department of Labor (DOL) for Certification. The purpose of the LCA is to confirm that your employer will pay you the same wage as other similarly qualified workers in the same geographic area and that your working conditions will not affect other employees.